Nusa Penida Island is known for its underwater beauty and marine life. The island is one of Bali’s most popular destinations, especially for snorkelers and divers. There are many fun ways to discover what lies beneath the surface of Nusa Penida’s waters, snorkeling being one of them. Many beaches on Nusa Penida have a shallow coral reef just off the shoreline which makes it easy to explore the pristine underwater world by yourself. So it’s not surprising there are plenty of great Nusa Penida snorkeling tours out there.
How to get to Nusa Island?
Nusa Penida is only accessible by boat. You can catch a boat from three points on the east coast of Bali, which are Padang Bai, Kusumba, and Sanur. However, taking a speedboat from Sanur is one the easiest ways to get to Nusa Penida. The journey takes 30 to 45 minutes to reach the Island.
Read more :
Nusa Penida Snorkeling Tips
- Do some research. Nusa Penida has dozens of stunning beaches that are all within reach of your accommodation. Make sure to do some research and find a good place for snorkeling on the island. Ideally, it should be a spot that has calm waters and not too crowded with a lot of biodiversities to see. If you are a beginner, do not attempt to snorkel in a spot that has strong waves. It’s also a great idea to start snorkeling Nusa Penida from the beach instead of jumping off the boat. In this way, you can gradually swim to the sea you feel comfortable with.
- Make sure to wear a life jacket. Wearing life jackets may seem cumbersome but their job is to keep you safe. Regardless of whether you are an expert swimmer, keeping a life jacket will give you time to rest and recover should you experience incapacitating or sudden fatigue. Besides a life jacket, make sure to get equipment that fits on you. Having snorkeling gear that doesn’t fit can cause a number of different issues. Therefore, when renting equipment it’s wise to try it on and check the condition before going out to the open sea.
- Do not touch or chase any marine life! When snorkeling Nusa Penida, you are entering a whole new world and wild habitat of biodiversity. The underwater in Nusa Penida is an amazing place and Nusa offers travelers a view of healthy coral reefs that have evolved over millennia. Make sure not to touch and contaminate beautiful coral with any part of your body.
- Stay hydrated. Nusa Penida offers hot sunshine during the day and can leave you feeling dehydrated very quickly. Therefore, drink plenty of water before a snorkeling trip.
- Eco-friendly sunscreen. It is common knowledge that the regular sunscreens available over the counter at many shops have chemicals in them that harm everything in underwater life. So, bring your eco-friendly sunscreen and save the environment!